Fly southwest before entering the Kahurangi National Park for a landing on Mt Owen. Filming was undertaken here for 10 days with the result being one of the most moving moments in the film. It was here, distraught at the loss of Gandalf, the remaining members of the Fellowship escaped the mines and threw themselves to the ground in their grief. Mt Owen showcases some of the oldest rock in New Zealand and has priceless geological properties. As you ascend, a landscape of glaciated marble karst is exposed and you appreciate the challenges for a film crew working within the harsh alpine environment.
Mt Owen Lord of the Rings scenic flight tour
- Explore Mt Owen's truly spectacular surroundings by helicopter
- Enjoy landing on Mt Owen the official Lord of the Rings film location!
- Unique land forms, habitats, plant communities and wildlife
- 40 minutes flight exploring the Kahurangi National Park
- 1 x Mountain landing
- Live commentary in English
Nelson Airport (NSN) 8 Dakota Street, Nelson Airport, Nelson 7011, New Zealand
- The price is per group. Group of 1-3 people will ride R44 helicopter and group of 1-6 people on Eurocopter
- The maximum group of 1-3 people can be booked per booking is 1
- The maximum group of 1-6 people can be booked per booking is 2
- The flight is subject to change and weather conditions. If the weather conditions make flying unsafe on the day of the trip Helicopters Nelson will cancel the flight. This is at the pilot’s discretion and there is no charge in this situation. You will be informed via telephone
- This tour operates with a maximum of 6 participants
- Bring your camera!
What people say about this experience
At the moment there are no reviews for this experience.
Book this combo heli tour and landing at on the ultimate Lord of the Rings film location: Mt Olympus and Mt Owen!
Book the ticket now! Explore Mt Owen's truly spectacular surroundings by helicopter and landing on Mt Owen the official Lord of the Rings film location!
Book this activity now and experience high flying by heli and skip the Hill and visit New Zealand's only Tequila Farm and unique hand-crafted spirits!
Book this activity now! Come and see breathtaking natural landscapes as seen in Lord of the Rings!
Book the heli tour now and take a flight over the golden-sand beaches and pristine waters of the Abel Tasman National Park
Book the tour now to enjoy breathtaking mountain landscapes from above and explore stunning west coast beaches and rock formations
Book a Nelson scenic helicopter flight for the best views of the picturesque alpine region and to see Nelson's remote mountain ranges!